This past Tuesday (August 25th) Makayla's school hosted Florida History Night. All 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders are required to do a research project, field trip, and read a piece of literature by a Florida author. We read Strawberry Girl and researched my families hometown ...Starke. We had a lot of fun snapping photos of places in Starke and comparing them with the old photos my grandfather had collected. Makayla then made a digital scrapbook and that is what she shared that night. I taught her a lot of the history from the facts my grandfather collected over the years. He loved Starke and had a passion for history. I am always taken by surprise at how well Makayla reads. Not only is it fluid ,but she has such awesome inflection. It just comes naturally. I did not know we would all be standing up front with her! I was thinking it was just little Makayla up there by herself. But, then again that is what I love about Veritas....everything is so family oriented. Makayla's teacher lent us a hand since seconds before this picture we had Luke squirming, yelling, crying, and just beging to get down. Thank goodness Poppy came to the resque. Also Praise the Lord we were the third family to share and then Paul took Luke home.
The funny thing about this picture is somehow Makayla arrived up front with bare feet!!!! I didn't even know this until I posted the picture. I guess she is a true Floridan or it shows you the comfort level she has at her school. Luke was on the sidelines chirping , yelling, crying , and very disturbed that he couldn't run around.
It was a lot of fun studying a part of Florida and I figure that if we stay at Veritas for all our schooling I will be an expert in Florida History since we will have 9 more summers of our state's history (I am adding Makayla's three years, then Elijah joins her then Luke finishes it up). Not bogging myself down or anything....ha ha

1 comment:
Wow! VT looks like a great program. So great to see what she's learning and that you're such a big part of it!
Post a Comment