Monday, March 1, 2010

Science Fair ....Those days are here again!!!!

Yep! Makayla's big science fair project was due this past Wednesday (I remember those science fair days). The entire 3rd and 4th grade are studying flying creatures this year so our projects were limited to flying creatures. This was a little hard for me to think of an experiment so we took the model/research route. Makayla was very interested in hummingbirds since Paul and I got some great pictures of them in Costa Rica this past summer. We discovered their wing rotation is different from any other bird....... so bam! We had our hypothesis...... Why do hummingbird's wings rotate in a figure eight motion. It took months and months of writing the research paper, Paul and Makayla pressing wicky sticks together, and piecing together a science board (that had to be re-vamped due to the little Luke who thought it was cool to rip off pieces of the board). Makayla made it to the BIG Wednesday with little nerves jumping in her tummy ,because she had to present and defend her hypothesis to the judges. She did very well and even took home 2nd place ribbon for 3rd grade. Very proud of her hard work and so thankful to Veritas which had a specific spot on the board for the students to reference their research to the bible.
PS....hummingbirds rotate their wings in a figure eight motion so they can hoover, move up and down, move side to side, and backwards. God made these creatures this way so they could hoover over flowers .....gather their nutrition....and help pollinate the earth like our pretty butterflies.
The 3rd and 4th grade class with their science fair projects....Thankful to Danielle's mom who shared these pictures with me!

1 comment:

Mom Heart Ministries of McMinnville said...

I can't wait for these days! I always enjoyed science fairs. Makayla looks like she enjoyed hers. :)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a wife and a mom to three children who God has generously blessed us with! I love to journal and watch them grow so blogging seemed the best for me!